Monday, August 6, 2012

Fashion Shamshion

I've been trying to find other ways in expressing myself other then art. I've given up on art just for the sole reason of feeling like I can't move on with my life or accomplish anything by doing it. Silly, I know. I used to express myself through my my little books and my room. My mom always encouraged me to keep a journal and write down every thought in my mind, no matter how little or big the thought is (if that makes sense). Since going to high school, things just seem weird. I'm in the period of my life where I don't want to let go of my adolescence quirks (coloring, play dates, wearing silly frilly clothes, not caring about what other people think about you, painting your nails with sparkly nail polish, thinking boys have cooties, etc.) but at the same time I feel like an adult with the adult things that I tend to do (driving, smoking, drinking beers, kissing without worrying about cooties, actually wearing high heels and not for dress up, etc.) I'm honestly so lost in who I am and what I like to do. There are times where I just think to myself "hey I want to be pretty" and other times where I just want to be free and not give a flying shit.
I don't know what I'm saying. I guess the point of all of that was: Fashion is a way to express yourself. I'm trying to do exactly that. It was hard to dress weird in middle school. I was pretty much bullied about my appearance so imagine the more negative comments I would receive towards my clothes. I am now at a very, somewhat """artsy""" school where I see people wearing weird things like chunky boots, bedazzled chokers, black lipstick, all that great stuff and it encourages me to express myself through my clothes. I feel like whenever I look at fashion magazines I step into this adult world with a childish outlook on fashion. I get giddy when I see runway dresses I admire, but everyone seated looks completely miserable. 
Meadham Kirchoff Fall 2010
 This was the one that really converted me, with its floor length veils and bangle piles. It was Courtney Love-inspired but did the kinderwhore grungey thing without falling into cliches, focusing more on CL's DIY skills and broken beauty queen fascination, with pipe cleaner tiaras combining the two most perfectly. The collection was really Grey Gardens in a way, more in theory than in relation to Little Edie's style of dressing. 

Fall 2012


But this collection, THIS collection was inspired by Riot Grrrl and Chanel, which resulted in tiny shouts of rebellion coming from stiff, uniform-like dresses and knee highs and crosses. There's definitely a Nordic-y sweater vibe happening here too, making it more fall-appropriate. I think my favorite thing about Ed Meadham and Benjamin Kirchhoff's interpretations of angry music like Riot Grrrl and Courtney is that they don't add "punk" elements to their collections with studs and leather
Mulberry Spring/Summer 2012 Campaign 
Mulberry has such colorful and beautiful ad campaigns and their most recent one is no exception. Filled with larger than life props of melting ice creams and broken sweets, the photo spread for the Spring/Summer 2012 collection is adorable.






TOKUKO 1ER VOL S/S 2012
Japanese designer Tokuko Maeda's Spring/Summer 2012 collection was beautiful! Inspired by traditional folk art and textiles from Mexico, the clothes showcased colors that come from Mexican clothing but still incorporated typical Japanese silhouettes. For some reason it reminded me of Frida Kahlo, I'm not sure why. I guess everything exotic and hispanic makes me think of Frida Khalo.





I guess what I'm trying to put out there, is look how silly fashion is. Who would wear those things in every day life? Fashion should be about humor with the glitz and glam. It should be about taking risk and adding things to your wardrobe that, well, represent you.
Tomorrow expect a long, very pink, salute to Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment